Resources regarding the Restraint & Detention of Patients in Emergency Departments
Key resources addressing this topic:
- Emergency Medicine Australasia Article: “Detaining Patients Against Their Will”
- Applicable across Australia.
- Contains useful medical decision making flowchart (see below) and useful real world case scenario examples
- ED Guidelines Article: The Duty and Right to Restrain Patients in Emergency Departments
- Further detail regarding legislation, with particular focus on WA legislation but with application to other states.
- Contains links to a range of associated resources
- ACEM Webinar Panel Discussion on Restrictive Practices in ED
- Panel discussion about the various legal and practical considerations in this area.